Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My very conservative friend is starting to figure that I'm gay, and I'm really worried. What do I do?

He is just really homophobic and he has been acting really weird around me and asking me all kinds of strange questions. He is my friend, and I don't want to lose him, but I don't want to lie to him either. I'm not sure exactly why he has started suspecting me, I'm not a stereotypical lesbian at all and I'm only in highschool. Anyway, does anyone have any advice because right now I feel like I'm pretty much screwed.My very conservative friend is starting to figure that I'm gay, and I'm really worried. What do I do?
Well if he can't put your sexuality behind him, it's gonna end anyway. The longer you wait, the more you stand to get hurt. People come and go in your life and that's something you can't avoid, unless you plan to be closeted for the rest of your life.My very conservative friend is starting to figure that I'm gay, and I'm really worried. What do I do?
is he homophobic towards gay guys or lesbians? some guys really may hate gays but don't mind lesbians. how is he asking you these ';strange questions'; like check his body language and tone. word choices. you could joke around about it first. like if you are out with him and he comments on a girl agree with him. involve more homosexual material in your life see how he reacts. just go slow with him assure him that his friendship is important to you. and that secrets and lies are a fast lane for endings of any type of relationship. hun you aren't screwed just be careful.
Boy! I can really relate to your situation. I have conservative relatives who are guessing about me.





Unlike relatives, you can choose your friends. Your conservative friend is really just a hater. Do you really want to spend your valuable time with a hater? Find people who will encourage you to be the best person you can be. It feels good to be appreciated; so if the hater figures you out then give him a chance to respond. His behavior will tell you if his friendship is worth your time.
Being conservative doesn't automatically mean he won't be fine with you being a lesbian. Most conservatives couldn't care less about what people do in their private lives, so it's the shrieky minority responsible for the stereotype.





My brother is very conservative and telling him I was a lesbian was one of the coolest coming out experiences I've had. When I told him, he didn't even raise an eyebrow and asked, ';Are you going to tell Mom and Dad?'; I said I didn't think so. He responded, ';So you're not so much coming out of the closet as opening the door a little bit and waving?'; Then he laughed and told me to bring him a beer.





Most people will take their cue from you about how to react. The best way to tell him is to wait until there's a natural opening in conversation where telling him would seem natural. That way, the news isn't startling because it has a context. If he reacts badly, it could be that he just needs time to adjust his thinking, the same way it probably took you a while to get comfortable with the idea. Most people know that sexual orientation isn't something we get to choose, so if he doesn't take the news well, you could remind him of that. But don't assume you'll lose him, even if he needs a while to wrap his head around the concept.





The less of a big deal being a lesbian is to you, the less it will matter to other people. Don't put pressure on yourself to tell him, since there's bound to be a time when the news will flow into normal conversation. When you come out under those circumstances, it's more comfortable for both of you, since the dynamic isn't changed by something startling like an announcement. Good luck!
in this situation you have to nurture two important people in your life while maintaining an appropriate balance to direct a sense of well being without hurting one another. first, make sure to take care of yourself and nurture all feeling of being who you are, simply never fear and become irrational of who you are when feeling pressured, especially under circumstances like these. you have to also make sure your friend remains on good terms with you, and if he is not willing to accept you as a whole, do you actually believe he can be called a friend. i know i am accepting, and maybe even a tad of a pushover, so i would not discourage anyone living in fear or uncertainty to disconnect their communication from me. it is up to you whether or not you want to tell your friend you are lesbian, remember that your well being comes first, people have to accept the character they see in you, and everything else should be oblivious to the point of extending a friendship. i really don't know what to say other than to be open about the truth with your friend. if you make him see things from your point of view, you can alter his mindset on people who identify as lesbian/gay. just don't call him a crazy capitalist republican for not understanding, try to be savvy about your approach and be patient.
I think that you should just let it run its course. There are two things that can happen.





First, he could not want to be your friend anymore once the truth comes out. I know it sucks to lose a friend, but he has to decide what is most important to him. Chances are, the friendship will end through distance.





Second, it could really help change his opinions - sometimes, being around a kind, loving, good LGBT person (which I am sure you are) can make conservative people think twice about the opinions that they hold on the community. It may still be awkward for a while but you could grow closer, and he could become more open-minded, which would be a great thing! :)





Either way, there is nothing you can do, short of lying. But you don't want to do that. I say if the moment comes, be honest with him and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment