Wednesday, January 6, 2010

How do I figure out my one rep max?

I haven't maxed out in a couple of months in flat bench press. What I've been doing recently is 3 sets of 5 to 6 reps at 205lbs. My previous max is 235lbs. Also, I was wondering if this applies to dips as well? I use a weight belt and attach a 45lbs weight (3 sets of 10 reps). I don't like to try to max out in dips in fear of hurting myself. If it helps I am exactly 180lbs and 6'-0'; tall. ThanksHow do I figure out my one rep max?
Make sure you have someone to spot you when you are maxing out, and preferably always when you are lifting.


That being said you can warm up a little with something like 10 reps of 100 lbs to get your arms warmed up, then start at 240 and try one rep. If you get it then move up to 245 and try one rep. Keep going up by 5lbs until you fail. Now, rest for a couple of days, then do your normal routine for a month or so, then max out again. This time after you warm up try whatever wait you failed at the first time, so if you made it up to 265, but couldn't lift 270 then this time you start at 270.





That will give you a good idea of your 1 rep max.





I wouldn't recommend maxing out on dips. The consequences of a failed dip with a large amount of wait can be extremely serious and it's very difficult for someone to spot you on dips.

No comments:

Post a Comment